Tuesday, December 26, 2017

My Best Nine Instagram Posts, 2017


Two sunrises, two sunsets and a double rainbow are responsible for five of my 2017 "Best Nine" photos on my main Instagram account (@bvarphotos).

It's easy to find out your own most-liked Instagram photos too. Just go to 2017bestnine.com and enter your Instagram ID. "Best" equates to "most liked."

You can even view your most popular posts from 2016 there. In 2016, my Best Nine were all taken in New Jersey, looking into the sun, playing with shadows.


In 2017, I tried to take more photos of people, and of different places, but I only partially succeeded -- thanks to New York. I'll try again in 2018.

Also, despite now owning a real camera (which I take along to meetups with real photographers so I don't feel so out of place), most of these photos were taken with either an iPhone or Droid, and were edited using Google's Snapseed app.

It looks as if I posted the same amount of photos on Instagram in 2017 as in 2016, but the truth is this past year, I started a second Instagram account -- @foundinnj -- to focus on the quirks and wonders of the Garden State. I have a related Tumblr account where I re-post many of these images, along with curated posts about New Jersey from a variety of sources. Here's my Best Nine from that account...


I love Instagram. It's the most stress-free social network -- and in real life I've been delighted to have gotten to know so many people I follow there. I invite you to follow me at either account, and I'll follow back.

Still, my favorite images aren't always the most liked on Instagram. I posted two on December 8 that were especially meaningful to me. I happened to take this one on Belmar Beach on my daughter's birthday in late November. It reminded me of the song "Free as a Bird," which played on the radio as I drove home that day, and I posted it on the anniversary of John Lennon's death...


Then there's this one -- which I actually took a few years ago during my last visit to Notre Dame, my alma mater. December 8 is also a Catholic feast day devoted to Mary, and 32 years ago that evening, with snow falling at this grotto, I asked Nancy to marry me...

No comments: