Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Postscript: Another Look Back Home

Pardon this mid-week interruption.

After posting photos and a few words about New Jersey here Sunday, I found myself in a nostalgic mood -- especially since I wound up visiting Mom in the house where I grew up in Totowa.

Here's just a glimpse of the living room there: that lamp, the doilies, all the little decorating touches Mom calls “gingerbread.”

I also posted two more photos -- both distant views of the New York City skyline -- on my Instagram accounts related to last week's adventures.

Here, for one, is a scene from the Rockefeller Lookout in Palisades Interstate Park. The one tiny boat sailing down the river is even smaller than Henry Hudson’s... but, as Hudson said when he first saw the view, “This land may be profitable to those that will adventure it!”


The other is an uncharacteristically vivid edit of a sunrise photo after a visit to Hamilton Park in Weehawken.

Editing photos heavily like this reminds me of my former Latin teacher in college. A priest, he offered this worldly advice when assigning translation homework: “Keep in mind that translations are like women. The more beautiful they are, the less true.”




No comments: