Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game in the East


No, this isn't a photo of an 80s rock band after accepting their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame award (although that would have been a dream come true for me). It's the ESL in 2014.

The Eastern Shuttle League is a fantasy/rotisserie baseball league started in 1985, before we were married and started families. Today, we all arrived, like magic from several different states, precisely at 11 in the morning in Darien, Connecticut, to conduct our draft.

I'm not going to tag anyone here because, for all I know, there are people in this photo in the witness protection program.

My wife Nancy (who's also "off the grid" and who graciously drafted a team for someone who couldn't show up) and I were almost the last ones to arrive. Even though I'm always early to things. I was waiting for her in the car outside our house as she was drying her hair before we left. I told Joe (far right) that this never happened when he and I drove to an ESL draft.