Friday, January 13, 2023

Poem: 'Mysteries of the Rosary'

This week's poetry prompt was simple:

Go through your phone’s camera roll and pick a random photo. Capture each detail with words and phrases, descriptive words for what you see, what the photo is of, where it’s from, etc. Think of these various details as a collage and put together a new poem.

I have thousands of photos on my phone: 61,023 as of earlier this week, to be exact.

So I downloaded a free app called "Stumble." Developers Ritchie & Mason enticed me with the first line of the app's description: "Take a serendipitous walk through your photo roll."

My life can use some serendipity.

Once installed, I pressed the "Stumble" button, and a photo appeared from a March 7, 2021, visit to The Met Cloisters. My wife and I had stopped to look at what we've previously discovered was the same favorite exhibit which we had both first seen years before we married.

I had seen this extraordinary rosary bead during a high school field trip, then years later accompanied by a friend who was an artist. I later took my young children to see it. Years later I returned alone, before returning again with Nancy last March.

I even tried writing a poem about this once before, but I like this one better:


Mysteries of the Rosary

I am a pilgrim.


Each decade of life,

I return to New York

to behold an intricately carved

boxwood prayer bead

the size of a snowball.


It depicts Christ’s crucifixion.


The museum piece,

hollowed and exposed,

never changes.


My spirit, 

hollowed and exposed,

diminishes in return.


My prayers

have been autonomous circles

of desire and intent.


Nothing more than empty shells.


Behold this dying man.

I see everything now.

Salvation is in the details.




My New Year's resolution: write a prompted poem each week in 2023, encouraged by New Jersey poet Dimitri Reyes.

No comments: