Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Corporate Life Chose Me


Thursday evening, July 26, I'll be speaking at a Museum of PR "Summer School" event in New York (details here).

The topic is my work as a spokesperson in the changing world of corporate America (unless things change by then). Registration is free, and the event will also be streamed live on Facebook.

My Twitter Moment, see below, celebrates the hashtag #CorporateLife -- and you might think from this that I sometimes don't take my job very seriously.

On the contrary, I want to let you in on a few secrets.

First, I've worked for Verizon and pre-Verizon companies for more than 30 years. That makes me an odd duck. But I have to tell you, as I've written before, it's never felt like that. I may not have changed companies, but the company has changed several times around me.

Like father, like son. My Dad worked at a Verizon predecessor company, New York Telephone, for 33 years. Dad didn't always love his job (working in Customer Service is particularly demanding) -- but he always loved his family. If he were still with us today, he'd be very proud that I followed in his giant footsteps.

Second, I have no regrets. Verizon is a tech company that helps people communicate. Its goal is to deliver the promise of the digital world to customers, and it aspires to do so in an ethical way. Check out the Verizon Credo. I think that's pretty cool.

Third, I love my particular job -- media relations -- because I get to work directly with the best journalists in the world.

Journalists are under fire these days, and I think unfairly so. Their world -- like mine, and yours too -- is radically changing. But even on their bad days, journalists do more good in the world than most. It's been an honor and a privilege to be able to help them do their jobs.

Want to hear less about me and more what life is like in corporate PR these days? Tune in on Thursday night. I hope it will be informative -- and fun.

No comments: