Thursday, December 20, 2018

Haunted by the Ghost of Christmas Past


Like Ebenezer Scrooge, I am being haunted by the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Two nights ago, the above photo -- beside a Christmas tree with Mom, sister and cousins and taken by Dad in Garfield, NJ, in the 1960s -- appeared in my Facebook news feed from out of the blue.

It was like a ghost, reminding me that this had once been a popular post. I can see why. Mom looks stunning and my sister has a wide smile (holding a doll dressed like Mom). I'm the serious-looking young boy on the right.

Everything is picture perfect.

Then last night, Google automatically produced this video, with a cheery holiday soundtrack, of old photos I had stored in a cloud...


This time I recognized the Ghost of Christmas Past, reminding me that things will never be the same.

This morning, taking another look at what I've posted on this blog in 2018, I've come to realize how much I write about the past.

So my wish tonight is to be visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come.

Unlike Ebenezer Scrooge, I do not fear this specter.

The past has taught me that nothing in life is truly picture perfect, but so much is good... and beautiful... and fleeting. I look forward to what tomorrow will bring.

This Christmas, to paraphrase Dickens, let us all be wise enough to see that all that's good in life begins with joy.

No comments: