Friday, September 20, 2019

100 Words (Exactly) About 3 Things I Love

About New York

In New York, everything is temporary. The young are only temporarily young; the powerful, only temporarily powerful.

On the street, kinetic energy changes form. Motion takes shape in art; art becomes fashion; fashion returns to energy. The homeless appear, then vanish, the way the rich eventually will. Monuments have all lost their meaning, and even the streets have changing names.

From above, we can see the world in context, so much bigger than our lives. We see the new Dover Beach. At sunset, the light gleams and is gone, retreating to the manmade lights, casting shadows on all our ghosts.


About Authenticity

This is a photo of the talented Tom Morello performing last night during a great show in Manhattan.

He asked the audience to jump up and down during one song, so I started hopping like an idiot. Then I noticed my wife standing perfectly still beside me.

She said, “I’m not going to jump just because someone told me, and I think Tom of all people would respect that.”

The song repeats the lyric, “And now you do what they told ya,” so perhaps people were jumping ironically. Perhaps.

But, definitely, this is 100 words about why I love Nancy.


About Writing

On a blank page,
I am bold.
The way you always wanted me to be.

I can dance.
I can level mountains.
I can fly.

On a blank page,
time has no power over me.
I am not fading away; I am forever young.

On a blank page,
I can create worlds.

I conjure you at will.
Change past and future.
Erase our memories.

On a blank page,
you don’t matter to me.
You have no power over me.

You can’t define me.
You can’t forgive me.
You can’t let me go.

On a blank page,
I can do anything.

No comments: