Sunday, January 3, 2021

20 Images of 2020

City street with shadows

In January, walking to work in Manhattan with the sun in my eyes. A video loop of the same basic image shows the Ghosts of 2020 Future.


In February, a post-Valentine's Day trip to Asbury Park, followed by a post-quarantine visit in July, again haunted by sunrise shadows.

Bench on Asbury Park boardwalk

Shadows of beach-goers at Asbury Park

In March, I saw Manhattan for the last time in months... first, from a final plane trip at the start of the month, then walking to work past Times Square on March 13.

Aerial view of Manhattan from Newark Airport

Times Square in the rain

In April, it snowed in my hometown in New Jersey, and deer roamed the suburban streets during lockdown.

Snow on suburban streets


Deer on a suburban street

In May, I needed to drive into Manhattan to run an errand for Mom. I didn't get out of my car, except to shoot this photo of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Later, I stopped on the way to Mom's house to sneak a photo of the Great Falls in Paterson.

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Paterson NJ Great Falls

In June, I saw my youngest daughter for the first time in months. It was a foggy night on the Seaside Heights boardwalk, and I stopped when she didn't realize it so I could capture her image before she disappeared into the mystic.

Boardwalk in fog

Girl with back turned on boardwalk

In July, I met photography friends, socially distanced, at the Empty Sky Memorial in Jersey City.

Empty Sky Memorial

In August, I visited Fort Lee Park with my wife (and returned in October for a different perspective from the Palisades).

View of George Washington Bridge

View of New York from the Palisades

In September, I went for a walk with my oldest daughter in Saddle River Park, and we watched birds already heading south.

Birds flying south

In October, I was back at work in New York two days a week, enjoying the office view and returning to find Times Square decidedly not a "ghost town."

Office view of Manhattan's East Side

Times Square, October 2020

In November, I stopped to take a photo in Bloombury, NJ -- and found more shadows on the face of this church.

Church with shadows of a cross on its front

In December, a friend who hasn't been able to return to New York asked for a photo of the new skyscraper, One Vanderbilt, in the season's first snowfall.

One Vanderbilt, looking up into snow

Finally, after Christmas, I returned to Asbury Park to take a photo of 2020's last full moon...

Full moon over Asbury Park boardwalk

... and howl.

2 comments:

beegirl said...

That September image is stunning. The nested curves of the trees, clouds, sidewalk, birds.... amazing

Bob Varettoni said...

Thank you! Hoping to see you for a real-life walk in 2021. Or 2022 :)