Saturday, February 13, 2021

Wednesday Night Poetry at the Photo Journaling Club

Screenshot of a Zoom meeting

Another Wednesday night, another Zoom, another wistful meeting of the Photo Journaling Club of New Milford, NJ.*

This week, the club inspired me to write three haikus and a poem in free verse. The haikus are about people whose lives intersect only in my thoughts:
  • Rachel Varettoni, who would have been 120 years old late last month.
  • Said Elatab, a Paterson artist who destroys his own work; a reminder that nothing is permanent.
  • Joellen Brown, a true friend and a good writer who died suddenly nearly two years ago.
The poem is about a recent attempt to clean out my garage. With apologies to Marie Kondo, not everything abandoned is clutter.

Lucky for me, I can tuck things away here on the Internet, and they all but disappear into thin air. If you are interested in other recent poems, I hid them here last week.


Young boy and his grandmother
This is my Nonna.
Dad's mom, who taught me to pray.
Her smile, heavenly.


Photo of a painting damaged by fire
An artist creates
dark beauty from depression,
then sets it ablaze.


Portrait of a man, crafted from fabric
A friend crafted this.
An image of her father,
made from his old ties.

---------


Charcoal portrait of a young man with glasses


Every Work of Art Stops Time

I was surprised to find myself
among the papers I was about to throw out.

You had drawn this many years ago,
and I had forgotten.

I am comically disguised as myself,
in beard and chunky glasses.

I am Dorian Gray in reverse,
diminishing every day in real life,
with a hidden portrait of when I was whole.

Your hand-made cardboard frame,
sandwiching a plastic sheet to protect the surface,
had come undone.

Like us.

Stuck to a rough edge,
fossilized in scotch tape,
was the thing that froze my heart.

A single strand of your blonde hair.

---------

* (Recent post from my local library): Since last March, the New Milford Public Library went virtual and continued so many wonderful online programs — storytimes, exercise, book clubs and so much more. Anna Kim, Adult Services Librarian, came up with a unique offering, a virtual Photo Journaling Club for high schoolers and adults. She enlisted the help of New Milford resident, Janet Dengel who has a background in writing and teaching.

Now into the club’s third 7 week session, the group has welcomed adults, retirees, mother/daughter writers, and high schoolers. They write about photos from family albums as well as photos in their phones. The topics have included family, pets, holidays, architecture, nature and more. Through this virtual program, the New Milford Public Library has given people a creative outlet during this challenging time, a way to get to know our neighbors and join generations together, and an opportunity to capture our life stories.

No comments: