Tuesday, July 8, 2014

There's Something About Mary

This headline isn’t unique. Neither is this photo collage of the shrines to Mary in my New Jersey neighborhood (see here). Neither am I.

The older I get, the more ordinary and common I feel.

Touring New Milford, NJ, this July 4 weekend, I saw more than a half dozen devotional shrines... an even greater number of small blue octagonal signs proclaiming that the homeowners are using an anti-theft alarm system… and a-still-even-greater number of American flags.

What do Mary statues, ADT signs and American flags have in common? I suppose they all promise to protect us in some way.

But still, I believe there is something different about the Marys of New Milford. And I think I’ve figured that out too.

For one thing, each one is an expression of faith in something greater than the world around us. For another thing, each one is flawed but unique.

In other words, each is extraordinary and uncommon.

These days, in my little corner of the world, I consider that a minor miracle.

2 comments:

SS Solutions said...

very good article thanks for sharing energetic information. i really appreciate u . you need to work more to promote your website. I read blog on daily base.
Buy best security cameras

SS Solutions said...

Very good article thanks for sharing energetic information. I really appreciate u . You need to work more to promote your website. I read blog on daily base.
best buy security cameras installation