Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Shameless Self Promotion

Google Album of Bob in front of step-and-repeat banners
Google Photos is a harsh mistress.

Looking back on my automatically saved photos usually forces me to confront sobering questions about my life choices, like...

Why did I take selfies in front of 21 step-and-repeat banners over the past three years?

I've pondered this question before, and my best defense is simply that it's a harmless and joking way to keep myself entertained at business and charity events.

At least that's what I'd tell strangers. What I'll tell you -- since you've cared enough to read this far -- is that the truth is more complicated.

I unapologetically want to leave a mark on the world... whether it's through my family and work relationships, or through sharing on social media in different ways that will lead to real-life connections or somehow have meaning in someone's life.

So, yes, I'm a shameless self-promoter.

I plan to keep putting stuff out there too because someday, somehow, it may make a difference. Here are 10 places you can find me... if you don't happen to have a step-and-repeat banner handy:
  • Right here, where I plan to post more writing and poetry and music in the future (and, I think, even fill out past years with diary entries I've not previously shared).
  • On Instagram (my favorite platform), where I have two accounts: a main account, where I post images from everywhere (hello, NYC, my favorite city), and an experimental, slice-of-New-Jersey-life account.
  • On Tumblr (my second-favorite platform), where I'm curating "Found in New Jersey," about the quirky land I love.
  • On Twitter, where I tweet an awful lot of work stuff (including Verizon news releases and stories from me and my colleagues), but try to keep a sense of humor about it (and of course I follow back, if you're active and not a bot).
  • On LinkedIn, where I also post work stuff, and try to keep things a bit more professional and promote others -- and sometimes write original posts related to PR.
  • On Facebook, where I share posts publicly when it doesn't impact my family's privacy.
  • On Medium, where I re-post things no one ever reads (except for my oft-updated book-review post, which is a compilation of my short Goodreads reviews).
  • On The Good Men Project site, where I post things that are well-read and heavily promoted, thanks to the tremendous support of its great editorial team.
  • On Pinterest, where I indulge my love of penguins. 
  • On Google+, where I post things simply because I feel that Google can otherwise be a vindictive mistress, too. 

No comments: