Sunday, August 19, 2018

Madam Marie's Path to Enlightenment and a Better Future

Instagrammable and immutable.
On a beautiful summer's night this past Wednesday, I saw my superficial past flash before my eyes. And I saw something else: I saw a better future, thanks to Madam Marie.

At a boardwalk psychic's stand -- the same one Bruce Springsteen sings about on "Fourth of July, Asbury Park" -- I learned the power of having someone look into your eyes and concentrate their energy on you.

It was just a few minutes of empathy, but in this age of social media, where so many of our interactions are superficial, it felt rare and real and lasting.

Sabrina, the granddaughter of legendary psychic Marie Castello, had asked me to extend my right palm, but she was staring into my eyes.

"Aren't you going to look at my hand?" I asked.

"I'm not interested in lines," the psychic said. "I'm interested in auras."

In Sabrina's eyes, my aura was especially re-assuring. I was surrounded by angels and destined to live a long, happy and healthy life. There's to be a financial windfall in February, and deceased relatives are looking out for me.

Still, I hadn't come looking for answers or advice. I didn't care about my fortune or about any stranger's observations about my life. I had just wanted to say thank you.

---------

"On the boardwalk way past dark..." (Sandy)
I had wandered to Madam Marie's from the Asbury Hotel, site of an event hosted by Michelle Maurice and Mike Davis of the Asbury Park Press, where artists and writers shared stories about love and loss.

I left before the end because the hour was growing late and Thursday was just another working day, and I was also a bit sad. There had been more songs and stories about loss than about love.

Seeing Madam Marie's brightly lit purple awning nearby, I shyly walked up to tell Sabrina that one of my daughters had been there a year or two ago. Cathy and I had been on a dad-daughter outing when she tugged at my arm excitedly, as if she were still a little girl, and asked if she could get a reading.

My daughter, my Mom and especially my late Dad were always big believers in psychics, so I gave Cathy some cash that night. When she returned a little while later, she was happy. It had been a life-affirming and magical experience for her, and I thanked Sabrina sincerely for that.

When I said I had never been to a psychic myself, Sabrina offered to read my palm. Throughout the reading, she kept asking if I had any questions. I wouldn't normally look to a psychic to provide answers to life's questions, but finally I indulged her.

"Can you tell me something you know to be true?" I asked.

"I can tell you with certainty that one of your daughters will be married by this time next year." When she saw my skepticism, she added, "It will be a surprise."

That, it would be!

The truth is, I don't think predictions matter much. I think what really matters is the enlightenment offered by a visit to Madam Marie's:

Let's take the time to focus on one another. Let's look into each other's eyes and pay attention to what we say. Let's make the effort to show concern, compassion and empathy for someone else.

I'm convinced, with absolute certainty, this will lead to a better future for us all.

No comments: