Thursday, August 29, 2019

August and Everything After


Earlier this month, Adam Duritz flew to London and shaved his head.

With his trademark dreadlocks shorn, the frontman for the rock band Counting Crows has become my spirit animal.

First, I admire that earlier this year, after so many years, Duritz formally recorded the song “August and Everything After” – which, like his best music, is both haunting and disturbing.

But even more inspiring to me is his radical new look, after so many years.

Just like Adam, it’s time for a change for me too.

--------- 

Looking back at my recent posts here, I realize I do a lot of “looking back.”

All well and good, considering the tributes and memorials I’ve posted to loved ones.

But there’s another way to honor those who have loved and supported us: using our time and efforts to give back or at least try to create something of lasting value.

This past week, during a short trip to Amish country in Pennsylvania, I took photos to share on social. Posted here are a few images from Paradise, and I hope they have some value.

I love photography. It gets me out in the world, away from my screens. A camera seems to give me the license… and the courage… to simply wander and explore.

It’s such a beautiful world. And sometimes ugly, and often absurd.

In a store window a few miles from Paradise, in Lancaster, I saw religious wall art that I thought was an image of the Virgin Mary. When I changed my perspective by walking to the side, the image changed to one of Jesus. Another image for sale depicted the Harrowing of Hell, Christ’s journey after his crucifixion to save all the righteous who had died since the beginning of time.

To me, photography is akin to the Harrowing of Heaven. Each photo is an ascent into the timeless and infinite, brought to earth by light and magic, captured and preserved, forever current.

Sometimes these images can be profound.

I save a photo of a girl who broke my heart when I was young.

The Polaroid was taken at a Halloween party I wasn’t invited to. I save it because, in a trick of accidental art, it forever suspends both the moment and the girl in perfect balance:

Dressed like a pumpkin, she almost looks vulnerable.

--------- 

I used that line in a story I once wrote, but now I think it’s time to write a few more stories… and take a few more photos… and keep creating something different.

I recently left my job at Verizon, where I had happily worked for more than 34 years, writing press releases, talking to reporters and getting to know some extraordinary colleagues.

It gave me great experience that I hope to put to use as a PR consultant. My goal is to help out a non-profit, foundation, educational institution or any company seeking to provide a greater good to society.





For me, it’s time for a change. I even formed a company, and Nancy took a new professional photo of me, standing in Weehawken NJ, with New York like Emerald City in the background, beckoning to the future.

So that’s me, today. No dreads. No fear.

In August and everything after, I’m after everything.

No comments: